McStas - A neutron ray-trace simulation package
McStas is a general tool for simulating neutron scattering instruments
and experiments. It is actively supported by DTU Physics
, NBI KU
scattering from a hollow-cylinder vanadium
|The plot shows the intensity of scattered neutrons (red is
highest intensity). The sample is at the center of the sphere with the
neutron beam coming from the left. Clearly seen is the shadowing effect
of the sample causing a lower intensity opposite the beam. Also seen is
the effect of the non-symmetric geometry of the sample, causing lower intensity
directly above and to the side of the sample.|
January 18th, 2019: McStas survey results
The results from the 2018 McStas user survey are now online at http://survey2018.mcstas.org.
The main conclusions are that
- Q1: McStas users tend to upgrade to the latest release.
- Q2: Linux is by a large margin the most used platform, followed by Windows 10 and macOS.
- Q3: McStas are generally happy about the installation and use of the package. Very few people have issues with installation.
- Q4: The most used tool set is the default Python version, default since v. 2.1.
- Q5: McStas users seem very satisfied with the user support.
- Q6: McStas users tend to trust McStas to large extent. But please don't trust it blindly!!
- Q7: McStas users mostly compare with experimental data or analytic / back of envelope calculations.
- Q8: McStas users have widespread knowledge of all documentation resources - but we should probably disseminate the wiki further.
- Q9: The individual suggestions/questions/comments/... will be answered through individual GitHub issues.
- Q10: McStas is used on all continents that have / are planning neutron scattering infrastructure. Users are mostly based at these facilities, but also at other research labs or universities.
Thank you very much for the (generally) very positive review - also,
you are more than welcome to participate in continuing debate on user
suggestions that will take place in the individual GitHub
Previous news items: 2018, 2017, 2016,
2015, 2014, 2013,
2012, 2011, 2010, 2009,
2008, 2007, 2006,
2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999,
Last Modified: Friday, 18-Jan-2019 10:51:02 CET